Outdoor Furniture Care & Maintenance
Through simplicity, durability, and quality, poly lumber furniture makes the hassle and inconvenience of owning wood lawn furniture and aluminum outdoor furniture a thing of the past!
Here’s how to clean & properly maintain your outdoor furniture. Be sure to ask us about recommended cleaning solutions.
Maintaining the Beauty of Your Outdoor Furniture
Poly lumber furniture is superior to wooden lawn furniture or aluminum outdoor furniture because it’s created from recycled HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene). It is extremely resistant to any weather conditions making it relatively maintenance-free furniture.
Because it is essentially maintenance-free, you can enjoy your weekends sitting in your outdoor lawn furniture rather than working to maintain its’ appearance and structural integrity. Poly lumber furniture has been designed to have the sleek appearance of wood lawn furniture without all the nuisances associated with actually owning wooden furniture.
How Do I Clean My Poly Lumber Exterior Furniture?
All exterior furniture and materials require cleaning from time to time, and this furniture is no different. It’s simple to maintain the beauty of your poly lumber furniture. We recommend a semi-annual cleaning with soap-and-water or a gentle pressure washing. Get ready to enjoy your comfortable outdoor living with minimal maintenance.
How to Remove Dirt and Debris from Patio Furniture
The affected area should be sprayed off with a hose to remove surface debris. Use warm, soapy water and a soft bristle brush to remove dirt and debris from the grain pattern of the furniture.
How to Remove Oil/Grease/Food from Patio Furniture
All food spills should be removed as soon as possible. To remove, spray off with a hose and use warm, soapy water and a soft bristle brush to remove spills from embossing pattern.
How to Remove Mold & Mildew from Patio Furniture
If debris, such as pollen and dirt, is allowed to remain on the surface too long it will be harder and harder to remove. . Use a mild cleaning agent that is approved for use on plastics such as our Mildew Stain Remover. Or products such as Mean Green, 409 Cleaner, or any of the new environmentally safe natural products. Household bleach diluted with water and a little dish detergent is a good and effective way to remove mold and most fungus.
How to Use a Pressure Washer on Patio Furniture
A pressure washer with no greater than 2000 psi may be used to remove dirt, dust, or other types of airborne particulates. Do not direct the spray close to the furniture. (less than 8”)
NEVER use acetone or other solvents on poly lumber furniture in order to maintain the beauty of the surface. To make your furniture sparkle again use Pledge Furniture Polish.
Do’s & Don’ts for Poly Furniture
- Clean furniture regularly with non-abrasive soap and water or our poly furniture cleaner on pg 57 of our catalog.
- White furniture needs to be cleaned more frequently in order to maintain it’s original beauty.
- If you place items like flower pots on furniture, place something under the pot.
- If your furniture gets a scratch take something smooth like a hammer head and rub the head firmly across the scratch until it is smooth. You will probably not be able to eliminate the scratch altogether.
- If the furniture is by salt water, regularly rinse the salt water off of the stainless steel hardware to avoid corrosion.
- When using an umbrella in your furniture always make sure the umbrella is secured with a base or umbrella fastner.
- Always close your umbrella when not using to prevent damage by the wind.
- Your umbrella should be cleaned regularly before substances such as dirt, etc are allowed to accumulate and become embedded in the fabric.
- When storing your umbrella during the winter season, it should be cleaned, allowed to air dry and stored in a dry, well ventilated area.
- This poly furniture is UV stabilized against fading so it is OK to sit directly in the sun.
- Poly furniture can get hot in direct sunlight. The lighter the color the cooler and the darker the furniture the hotter it will get.
- This furniture is very durable and very weather wise-user friendly. Handle like fine furniture and it will give you many years of use.
- Do not place flower pots or any items on furniture that will leave stains and scratches.
- Do not place hot items directly on the furniture to avoid melting.
- If you furniture gets a scratch, do not sand with sand paper.
- When washing poly furniture with a pressure washer, do not place the tip of your pressure washer closer than 8” to 10” from the furniture or it will tear into the furniture and make it rough.
- Do not scrub your poly furniture with a scrub pad, such as Scotch Brite pads. Always use a soft cloth or soft bristle brush.
- When cleaning your umbrella fabric, do not subject to excessive heat as fabric will shrink.